Therapies at Glencairn House
Allergy treatment and advice
Common allergic conditions and their symptoms are as follows:
• Causes: cow’s milk, egg, wheat, soy, fish, shellfish, soy, peanut, tree nut
• Effects: digestive (vomit, colic, diarrhoea, distension and bloating), skin (rash, hives, eczema), nasal (sniffing, sneezing, clear watering, obstruction), respiratory (wheeze, asthma)
• Causes: dog, cat, horse, house dust mite, moulds, grass / flower / tree pollen
• Effects: nasal congestion, obstruction, sneezing, running nose and sniffing
Eczema and atopic dermatitis
• Causes: house dust mite, dog dander, cat, mould, food (milk, egg, wheat, soy, peanut)
• Effects: 0-2 years old (cradle cap / cheeks / back of knees and elbows). 2-12 years old (dry scaly itchy patches over body, especially front of knees and ankles)
Advice and guidance on allergic conditions
Dr Robinson provides advice and guidance on allergy having undertaken courses at Birmingham and Plymouth Hospitals. He has also observed in allergy clinics at St Thomas’ Hospital London.
Allergy Testing using the Skin Prick technique can be provided if considered safe, appropriate and indicated. The cost for allergy testing is included in the 1 hour appointment fee.
Allergy testing is performed for the following reasons:
• Identification of allergic trigger factors in food and the environment
• Implementation of management plan to minimise allergen exposure
• Optimization of conventional treatment and emergency situation management
• Awareness of relevant foods to avoid
• Safe dietary expansion in the situation of inappropriate avoidance measures
• Referral onto health professionals for further advice if needed
Dr Tim Robinson MB BS MSc MRCGP DRCOG MFHom
Dr Tim Robinson has been a practising GP since 1989. Over the last 25 years he has found many conditions in General Practice that are not effectively treated with conventional medicine. This led him to further training in order to provide a more holistic, whole person approach to health care. Besides allergy he also has expertise and training in Nutritional Medicine, Homeopathic Medicine and Western Medical Acupuncture.